Combat Improvements

deskoft

Combat Improvements

Post by deskoft » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Hey, guys.

I've been voicing my thoughts about combat and I love it but I think like a lot of it lands in very random places like buttocks and groins, even in supposed high-level bouts. I don't know if it works like this, but brawling / combat instinct should make the character aim much more towards the head and stomach. Maybe combat styles should even include options to decide where you want to aim (so you could implement game plans like kicking a lot to the legs or trying for head kicks).

What do you guys think?

Andrew

Re: Combat Improvements

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:18 pm

We could have Combat Instinct or another skill (say, Precision Strike) that governs called shots or that can be toggled per combat setting and makes your char automatically aim for what is perceived to be most vulnerable - say, if a guy's wearing a cuirass with pelvis protection, to aim instead for the shoulder or head.

Akari

Post by Akari » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:01 pm

I've never much minded where the hits land in combat.

The back/buttock hits are just a byproduct of the frantic nature of fighting each other, sometimes you get an opportunity to land a blow to someone's back. Either they're out of position, or you flanked them, or maybe you struck them mid-attack or something. Who knows, it's easy for the imagination to fill in explanations.

The groin hits are something that probably do merit some level of control over but even trained fighters trying not to target below the belt will still land hits there by accident, especially when kicks are involved, so being able to block them all together is still questionable.

The problem with how combat works is that if we did have actual control over hit locations, the system breaks down, since you may as well just target people's faces every time for the stun KO/insta-brain-kill.

deskoft

Post by deskoft » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:07 pm

Just like in-real-life, if your attacks get repetitive someone with enough analytical skill could probably prevent your repeated attempts at KO'ing your face; I think variation over strikes means that you have more chances to surprise the person in question. You can mix kicks to the legs, punches to the face and good positioning of abdomen strikes to create a very mortal combination and I think that's what a good brawler at least in MMA, the sport I follow fervently, is made of.

I agree that strikes will always land in places unexpected, but I don't think it is realistic that many fights end with strikes in random parts most of the time.

Prodoman

Post by Prodoman » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:03 am

And why does combat instinct mainly base itself off will? Maybe add dodge as a separate skill that is solely dex based. I don't need a willpower of steel to avoid a blow, quite the opposite in fact. Seems like in its current state dex is pretty useless outside of caps which (we can't reach past mid-masterful) so you have the PC's who've been around before changes came in and are at high high high maxed masterful, then the pcs who prioritize str which seems to provide a major bonus to hit. What exactly does dex offer you other than caps you can't reach?

twitchyweasel

Post by twitchyweasel » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Agreed. Would be nice to be able to have some measure kf targeting. Or at least be able to toggle off groin shots