A general idea of how much is left?

Onasaki

A general idea of how much is left?

Post by Onasaki » Tue May 19, 2015 12:51 am

I'm only asking this since the Forums have been bereft of people, since the last post. But is it possible we could get some kind of update? (Even if it's just an edit of the most recent update we do have, as to what else needs done.)
I have two forces by my side,
One's the truth and One's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This Enigma is my Hell

Wolfsong

Re: A general idea of how much is left?

Post by Wolfsong » Wed May 20, 2015 1:58 am

It opens when it opens. Japheth will have to weigh in regarding code stuff.

As for myself, to give some perspective, I haven't thought about LabMUD at all in the past two weeks. Not once. Or, maybe once - but hardly even then. Real life has hit me like a ton of bricks, in a bad way, and text-based online gaming has, for the moment, fallen to a very low peg on the totem of Important Things I Care About Right Now. When real life stops sucking, and stops making me so damn sad, I imagine LabMUD will crawl back up to middle height on that list. But for now, I have more important things to stress over and fret about. So I apologize ahead of time for my lack of responsiveness on the forums, etc. LabMUD will open when it opens.

Japheth
Site Admin

Post by Japheth » Sun May 24, 2015 7:01 am

I should probably weigh in here. Wolfsong probably sounded a bit more gloomy than things really are (you'll have to forgive her, she's been dealing with something pretty major IRL).

To be clear, everything needed for LabMUD to open from a building perspective is done - hence a bit of why Wolfsong has "not been thinking about LabMUD" - there's nothing much she can do but wait for me. Meanwhile, I'm just trying my best to get basic combat ready for everyone. I was very naive to think that it was one week's worth of effort to do that, but I am making significant headway.

I wish I had something to actually show you but it's still a little bit at the background stage - the actual player commands and such are really the last thing that gets done in any system although I have made a start on them. I'm trying not to commit myself to any more dates because I'm bad at estimating such things apparently.

Anyway, we're still here and LabMUD is still opening. I'm sorry to have dented the enthusiasm of everybody out there but that's part of the learning experience I suppose.

AisforAmity

Post by AisforAmity » Sun May 24, 2015 11:32 pm

Don't be sorry until you start charging us to play.

The updates are nice, though, even if it's just to say you're alive and we can keep looking forward!

Onasaki

Post by Onasaki » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:51 pm

Figure it's about time I ask again...

Do we have any foreseeable future? I mean, I know you don't want to give us another deadline, and fail to deliver again. I understand, how embarrassing, and disappointing it was, for everyone. All of us. Though, this radio-silence... it just... it makes me lose hope.

There were regular updates, on twitter, on the forums, on Optional Realities. Now it's just... stopped, I get the feeling people are beginning to think this is a lost cause. (Not for me, I'm incredibly stubborn and really looking forward to this, so it won't be a lost cause for me, not for a while.)

But I just wish you guys would at least give us, basic weekly updates. (I know, I don't want to sound like that guy, but I was that guy when I first made this thread. Since no one else would speak up.)
This Enigma is my Hell

lawedan

Post by lawedan » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:33 pm

Yes, right now we're getting no updates. It's sad to think that maybe the developers are no longer working on the project, because it seems like. I don't want to be -that- guy either, but that's how it seems from the outside.

Onasaki

Post by Onasaki » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:53 am

Yep. And now we're getting bot-spammed.
This Enigma is my Hell

Japheth
Site Admin

Post by Japheth » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:37 am

Hi all,

Sorry for not giving you guys any updates. I actually decided to take a bit of a break from things as the way things were going, I feel like I was on track to burning out (it also happened to coincide with my birthday and wedding anniversary so as good a time as any to focus on real life).

Anyway, I have come back refreshed and full of purpose and have begun chipping away at combat and bugs again. I've also booked some leave from work during which I intend to focus primarily on LabMUD.

With regards to the bots, it appears like someone has finally figured out the forum exists and set up some fairly simple spammers. I'll see about changing around the Captcha and see if that stops them. Otherwise I'll just have to keep an eye on things.

Onasaki

Post by Onasaki » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:10 am

Woot!

Glad to hear it, Japh.
This Enigma is my Hell

derrenp

Post by derrenp » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:42 pm

You shouldn't have to put your life on hold for this, Japheth. Your obligations to your wife and your work should come first. Sorry we're impatient and bugging you.

lawedan

Post by lawedan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:06 pm

That is GREAT to hear!

AisforAmity

Post by AisforAmity » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:21 pm

I want to echo Derrenp's sentiment here. Don't let a few dramatic posts discourage you from focusing on important stuff.

With that said, cool to hear you're getting stuff done! Very excited to see what you come up with here.

SomeKnob

Post by SomeKnob » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:56 am

Are we still looking at a 2015 release?

Japheth
Site Admin

Post by Japheth » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:02 am

I'm not putting the release off THAT much. I'm still looking for an ASAP release. In fact I've taken a week of leave from work next week during which I would really like to finish off what remains.

I suppose I can give you guys a little bit more of an explanation as to the delay now. Firstly, a couple of days after we announced we were planning on releasing Wolfsong found out that she is pregnant (very good news for us but we weren't expecting it so soon). Unfortunately she was having some nasty complications early on which was very emotionally draining for the both of us. At the same time, I got promoted at work and I went from a (relatively) low stress job with regular hours to an incredibly high stress job with long hours and a lot of "out of hours" stuff.

About the same time I ran into unexpected hurdles with my design for combat and went round in circles for a while trying to sort things out. It is very draining to get about half way into such a big complex system and realise something is fundamentally flawed, and have to go back to the drawing board. I had to do that twice, before I sat down and decided to really flesh out the full design.

The combination of all of these factors hitting at once really made me very unproductive and every bit of time I thought I'd have to power through the issues evaporated to one or the other of the issues. Hence, I missed a couple of deadlines and then at some point I decided I needed a break to focus on real life, which was good.

I'm happy to say that the issues with the pregnancy have since been resolved and everything is going very well, although I can't say the same thing for work, which is going to remain hectic for the next couple of months at least. Not to worry though, I can definitely deal with that - it was probably a bit of an "Eye of the Storm" stage in my career where I actually had such good conditions anyway! Back to more of the same...

I have been quietly working away trying to regain my momentum now that things are stabilising again in our lives. I've been making some progress with combat to the point where I'm actually testing some of the basic functionality at the moment. I might take a very short deviation into making a new item type or some other quick, relatively easy task just to get momentum under my belt, but I'm still here.

Wolfsong and I both really appreciate all of the folk who have shown an interest in LabMUD and the project, it was a lot more interest than we thought we'd get. One way or the other we will be open in 2015 and before you know it you'll all be horribly mutilated by twisted mad science enjoying yourselves and having fun!

Onasaki

Post by Onasaki » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Woot!

Congrats on the pregnancy, Japh! I hope everything goes well, thank you for giving us an update!
This Enigma is my Hell

SomeKnob

Post by SomeKnob » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:48 pm

japheth pls

Onasaki

Post by Onasaki » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:48 am

Any updated word on the status?
This Enigma is my Hell

Japheth
Site Admin

Post by Japheth » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:04 am

I've been laying low - I know you all want updates but I've been prioritising real life - as I think I mentioned before, in around about April of this year I became the project manager of a multi-million dollar project of construction work as well as still doing my old job...the good news is, I'm about a week and a half away from completing the project and I should finally have more time AND more fucks to give about anything that isn't work.

Anyway for the last few weeks I have been trying to get back into a routine with FutureMUD. The combat system I'd come up with and described to you guys turned out to be an actual mess - the design looked good on paper, but it was just too complex to work with and very difficult to build for. Combined with the fact that it was very poorly received by those who gave feedback privately and publically about it, I decided to go back to a much simpler base more similar to the RPI Engine and then build on top of that, rather than shooting for the stars from the beginning.

The good news is simple means relatively fast to develop...and I am starting to pick up momentum again. I've also been working on a couple of other non-combat things related to supporting some more immersive building for LabMUD (I'll tell you about it later or it could ruin a potential plot). Those are the kind of things that get me feeling good about the project and give me the momentum to tackle the larger, more difficult systems like combat.

Another positive factor is that I've finally secured an office at work (moving up in the world). When you work in an open plan cubicle it's hard to capitalise on those occasional moments when you're genuinely not busy by working on FutureMUD, but it's very easy when you have your own office. Again, not having to do my second full time role at work by the end of the month will free up a great deal of personal time and lower my blood pressure back to normal levels.

So sorry for keeping you all hanging and sorry for the constant news telling you why I'm sorry you can't play yet, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (and it is probably an oncoming freight train - the freight train is a metaphor for the ways in which players can inventively break things).

SomeKnob

Post by SomeKnob » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:17 am

How much forewarning are you likely to give for opening?

I'm sort of worried that if I'm not checking back weekly I might miss it. :geek:

Japheth
Site Admin

Post by Japheth » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:40 am

When we're ready to go I'll probably send out an email to all registered accounts. I'm almost certain to time the launch to occur on a Friday night US time, so that we can spend a couple of days over the weekend with you all. More than likely I'll have the MUD up from the Wednesday so that people can make last minute adjustments to their submitted characters.

Incidentally I've been working on melee weapons lately. Once I'm satisfied with how they're mangling things and interacting with armour, I'll be putting the bits where folk hit one another and dodge and such. That's the last item on the list before release.

Don't get too excited, I'm still only managing to pull maybe 5-10 hours a week on this at the moment due to real life but we're nearly over the line.

AdamBlue

Post by AdamBlue » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:35 pm

Almost December. Next year?

Onasaki

Post by Onasaki » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:39 am

It's almost the end of the year, I hope this still happens. It'd be holiday miracle, if it does.

Pleeeease, Santa Japh?
This Enigma is my Hell

Onasaki

Post by Onasaki » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:08 am

It's been a while since I've posted anything on here. I'm wondering, at this point, if I should just give up hope... I've seen Japh poking around the forums, but not post anything.

Are we ever going to have LabMUD? It's almost February. Can we have an update?
This Enigma is my Hell

Japheth
Site Admin

Post by Japheth » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:58 am

I do apologise for not being very communicative. Primarily, it's because every time I post it seems to get people's hopes up and at this stage the last thing you all need is a false start or a letdown. Secondly, it's because I haven't had anything definitive to say. Nobody likes being the bearer of vague platitudes.

Despite trying to keep a tiny human version of ourselves alive, I have still managed to get a fair bit done on FutureMUD since December. I will be very frank that the period between the failed May release and October was not very productive, mostly due to real life. From October on though I had my nose to the grindstone (still was hoping for end of year release), and in late December I managed to get out of back-end non-visible stuff for combat and into something tangible in the game, which was very exciting.

I'm happy to say that combat is very close to a v1.0 now and I'm extremely happy with how it turned out this time. I think I've struck a decent balance between a good system to build on (important for me as a coder) and a system that's just the right amount of complex for players - complex enough to be unique and interesting, but simple enough for your average MUDder to understand relatively intuitively.

The only major item left to work on for melee combat to achieve absolutely critical feature completion is fleeing combat, and that's what I'm working on this weekend. I would say that once that is in, melee combat is actually already more feature rich than the RPI engine was and it's just the starting point. Of course, I am almost 100% positive that it will not be initially well balanced - I'd like to get it at least in the ballpark before I let you all at it.

Another thing I have been doing is actually testing the building with realistic scenarios - having NPCs with comparable skills and equipment to PCs beat each other up until they cause serious wounds, and then checking how hard it is to stabilise/save/heal wounds, and how long it takes. I think I'm getting to the bottom of that.

An example of the kind of thing I am talking about is that in Futuremud, worn items cover up the wounds beneath them. This was to take into account scenarios like a zombie MUD where if you got bitten you might want to hide your wounds. A problem with this initially was that you could take a major bleeder to a hidden location and your friends couldn't tell you needed urgent help - so I wound up implementing a liquid contamination and cleaning system so that bleeders could soak the clothes and armour that cover them up, and people could later clean that up.

I'm almost ready to have you all log into the guest lounge and have hobo knife fights to learn the system, which will probably occur over the next couple of weeks. Then the actual release will occur as I previously mentioned with perhaps a week's notice sometime after that.

I know you're all eager to get into the game but you also have to realise how big a commitment it is once the game goes live - you'll definitely find bugs both minor and serious and some of them will require urgent attention to fix. Between getting almost no sleep while looking after a newborn baby and work, I only have a little bit of time - I want to get the last few things done in a pressure-free environment before I open up the floodgates for the pain.

Overall I'm pretty happy with where we've ended up. At present, the game is at least as playable as Atonement Alpha was, in terms of feature completeness. It needs to keep getting better of course and I do need to do a major optimisation pass (startup time is getting a bit rediculous at the moment, but that's a long story), but it's very close.

So stay tuned is all I can say.

Onasaki

Post by Onasaki » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:57 am

That all sounds wonderful. And congrats on the new baby! I look forward to what the future brings.
This Enigma is my Hell