Login Issues

Azmodan

Login Issues

Post by Azmodan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:16 pm

I've got an odd thing happening with my login, but I'm thinking it's likely complicated by things on my side. This only appears to be an issue while I am at work where they definitely have security firewalls. If I try to connect using mushclient, it seems to connect and then after about 20 seconds it goes dead:
LabMUD connection issue.jpg
LabMUD connection issue.jpg (93.36 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
I know that I can connect to muds at work as I have been able to connect to SoI and prior to that Parallel RPI. At first I thought it may be port related with the firewall blocking port 4000, but I went out and found some other muds that use port 4000 and had no issue connecting with them. I can also connect to the webpage (which naturally uses port 80) without any issue, thus my being able to post here about it.

Another thing I tried was entering L during the 20 seconds, thinking that maybe it was just some oddness with the login screen as has been pointed out. That also resulted in failure. As was pointed out in the other thread I also changed my screen width to 120 and turned on Unicode.
LabMUD connection issue 2.jpg
LabMUD connection issue 2.jpg (204.09 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
Are there any other suggestions or thoughts on why this would work with some games, even games on the same port, but not LabMUD?

Japheth
Site Admin

Re: Login Issues

Post by Japheth » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:30 pm

I suspect it's going to come down to some sort of strange edge case in the socket code. The fact that it says the MUD closed the connection means there was either some kind of socket error it's not handling gracefully (default response to an unknown error is to boot the connection), or somehow the complicated black magic it does to detect whether someone is still connected is thinking you're disconnected when you're not.

Of course, it could also be server firewall settings doing it to - can't rule anything out.

I might have to put some debugging code into the MUD over the next couple of days and get you to replicate the problem a bit (it's not in yet by the way).

Azmodan

Re: Login Issues

Post by Azmodan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:54 pm

Just let me know when you'd like me to test and I'll do my best to accommodate. I can even remote in from home so I can test in the evenings my time.