Timing out

Raukran
Bug Finding Maestro

Timing out

Post by Raukran » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:17 pm

I've been running into an issue where if I'm logged into a character on the game, I'm timing out if I'm not active for a length of time. When I come back to the game, I'll try to issue a command, am given no response by the game, then my connection drops entirely. On average, I'll only get one zone echo before it happens, if I don't do anything.

Japheth
Site Admin

Re: Timing out

Post by Japheth » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:45 am

It does seem that it boots you after ~30 minutes, which is about the frequency of background echoes.

This has something to do with the way that C# handles sockets (what Telnet uses to communicate). I've been trying to get to the bottom of this one forever but so far with no luck. Anyway, it's on my list.

Japheth
Site Admin

Re: Timing out

Post by Japheth » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:50 am

I think I solved this one by the way. Admin timeouts are set to be extremely long (~8 hours) and I left the MUD connected overnight, came back when I got up in the morning and I'd literally just been timed out, and actually GOT the message warnings that I was being timed out.

It was a single line command at the end of the day after all that. Telnet stuff is very poorly documented for C# -.-