Grappling / Wrestling

Japheth
Site Admin

Grappling / Wrestling

Post by Japheth » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:42 pm

Hi guys,

In the very near future I'm about to start a pass on grappling and wrestling, which will help flesh out the unarmed/nonlethal portion of the combat system a little bit. I'm also planning on tying in restraints (handcuffs, shackles, manacles etc - also, no pun intended) at this point as they will piggy back on some of the functionality.

I am thinking that grappling will have a few more manual steps than regular combat, although it will still work on the automatic system as well.

The core idea is that grappling will be targeted at limbs and bodyparts; when you grapple, you grapple to immobilise, disarm or damage a bodypart. For example, you might be grappling to immobilise somebody's arm (so they can't fight back), or you might be struggling to take a weapon off them (or remove an item of clothing or armour), or you might be trying to do them damage (breaking a bone, wrenching a joint, strangling their throat).

So as an example, you may type GRAPPLE to enter into a grappling mode. You may then type something like GRAPPLE IMMOBILIZE RARM to try to twist someone's right arm. You may have some pre-set combat settings that say whether you will damage that part if they attempt to struggle out of it - for example, if you have their arm grappled and they struggle out of it, you may break the arm - but equally, if it was a friendly wrestle, you might want to NOT do that (which might mean there's a better chance of them breaking free).

Grapples will probably happen from a clinching stance, so you'll need to clinch before you grapple, and having been clinched makes you vulnerable to grappling. The decision to escape a successful grapple of a bodypart will probably be manual - something like the STRUGGLE command from Diku (maybe with optional STRUGGLE RARM type arguments).

When grapples are taking place there will probably also be counter-grapples, throws and counter-throws as well. This will actually constitute something of a counter to clinching in general - if someone clinches you with daggers, you may grapple them for a throw down for example. This should make daggers not as insanely overpowered as they are at the moment.

I may also make some combat settings that will automatically engage some of the manual steps mentioned above - maybe a stance that auto-counters clinching with grappling throws, or one that will try to counter-grapple a grappler, or just a stance that will try to lock down all the defender's limbs (a "Subdue" combat setting for example).

Related to this will be dragging as well - you'll basically drag people by grappling them and then moving them about. This will allow you to drag injured buddies out of harm's way, as well as kidnap helpless people. I might need to make some sort of non-combat voluntary grapple to accomodate this.

Anyway, I'm seeking ideas and feedback. All welcome.

TheEbonPlague
Bug Finding Maestro

Re: Grappling / Wrestling

Post by TheEbonPlague » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:35 am

Would weapon usage be usable while grappling? Say I'm wrestling someone's arm to the side with an open hand while trying to poke them with my knife or once you are in grapple mode you're in total grapple mode and I may as well not even have a knife

Japheth
Site Admin

Post by Japheth » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:06 am

TheEbonPlague wrote:Would weapon usage be usable while grappling? Say I'm wrestling someone's arm to the side with an open hand while trying to poke them with my knife or once you are in grapple mode you're in total grapple mode and I may as well not even have a knife
Good point, there would have to be tie-in with weapons as well - both for things like continuing to poke someone if they're trying to grapple you, as well as using weapons (batons, knives) to aide in the grapple itself - putting a knife to someone's throat, chokeholds with batons etc.

SomeKnob

Post by SomeKnob » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:12 am

Str should lessen the amount of stamina it costs to struggle/keep your grip on someone.

Cons is already such a hiliariously OP stat without it being the main thing that determines who wins at extended grappling.

TheEbonPlague
Bug Finding Maestro

Post by TheEbonPlague » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:24 am

SomeKnob wrote:Str should lessen the amount of stamina it costs to struggle/keep your grip on someone.

Cons is already such a hiliariously OP stat without it being the main thing that determines who wins at extended grappling.
I second this, with the length of combat in the game with all weapons except a good blunt hit, Con is the most important stat for combat as once you can outlast your opponent you're essentially getting free hits all the time...